Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Roots


A couple days after we found out that we lost our baby, Brandon and I were able to get away and enjoy some time alone in the beautiful and fresh mountains of Forest Falls. We found a beautiful and quiet little area by some little waterfalls. Our time there was crucial to our personal healing and grieving. Right when we sat down, I immediately noticed this tree, and this is what I journaled . . .


In front of me is a tree whose roots are completely above ground. As I look at it more closely, I wonder how it is still standing--it must have strong roots underground. This makes me think about the truth and love of the Lord and how deep it runs. I feel like right now I have many roots that are sticking out and visible. Roots of fear, anxiety, doubt. Though, even still, I, we, are still standing, and though weak at times, we are standing strong. Through this sadness, we have not wavered in the truth of Christ and in the knowledge and trust of His goodness. So like this tree, we stand with roots of God's grace deep within our hearts as this tree's roots and deep within this soil, and for that my heart is thankful.


"Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving."

Colossians 2:6-7

I know you are using this as a teaching time, Lord, and though right now I have to tell my heart to be grateful, I know I eventually will be. Father, please use this as a time where we may share your name and your goodness in time of sorrow--boldly. May we not waste this sadness.


---------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea and Brandon, I feel so deeply saddened by your loss. I am so sorry your family has to go through this. I will be praying for you both. Thank you for sharing your testimony of faith, it was really convicting to me. You guys are true pillars and I am so thankful that I have the pleasure of knowing you as friends. Your faith and strength through this I'm sure are helping to pull along the faith of weaker saints. Love always, Brandy Humphries

Sarah Cooley said...

I love you both so much and I am so grateful for the impact your lives have had on me and so many others! Thank you for being a true brother and sister in Christ to me. Praying for you still in this process of grief. The Lord is good and has already used this difficult time immensely in so many different people's lives! Keep resting in HIS promises! Love you!!

-Sarah