Saturday, August 23, 2008

Contentment

I am currently reading this great book that Angela Mooney gave to us girlfriends/wives of Dr. Mooney's interns last Christmas. It is called "Life Management for Busy Women" by Elizabeth George. It is really great. Throughout every chapter I have found myself feeling convicted about my attitude by a certain subject or feeling ashamed by the way I do spend my time.

In a chapter titled God's Guidelines for Your Money she listed this poem:

A Recipe for Contentment
Health enough to make work a pleasure;
Wealth enough to support your needs;
Strength enough to battle with difficulties and forsake them;
Grace enough to confess your sins and overcome them;
Patience enough to toil until some good is accomplished;
Charity enough to see some good in your neighbor;
Love enough to move you to be useful and helpful to others;
Faith enough to make real the things of God;
Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future.
.
.
This poem was so simple, yet it spoke greatness to me. This is exacly how our attitude needs to be on a daily basis. Brandon and I are in a bit of a nervous state right now in needing to find Brandon a full time job. This reminded me that though we have many needs at this time, so do others, and I need not fulfill my selfish thoughts of myself. God is faithful and we have full confidence He will provide. I pray that Brandon and I will continue to be strengthened during this time in our dependence in the Lord and that we can also be a blessing to others and continue to serve Him. Please, also, keep us in your prayers!
.
I also highly recommend this book to any "busy woman" which is basically all the women I know, so if you are a woman who is reading this, please go pick up this book!!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I will definitely pray for you! There is no better place to be than in a place of contentment. I was just talking to the wife of our dean about that today. I feel like I am in that place right now! I will pray for the job situation, but ultimately I will pray for contentment.

Bryce said...

That was a really good poem. The last line was especially good for me. Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future. I've just been trying to figure what the future holds, and I have been anxious about it, and hoping in the Lord is the only solution because I can't predict the future. So, thanks for posting that. Praying for you guys.