Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I Believe"

One of the first writing activities I gave my students was to write at least 20 things that they believe. One of my very favorite English teachers in high school gave us this assignment and I really loved it so I thought my students might too and they seemed to. Through this assignment I was also able to find out more about them and some things they believe.

So here are some things they believe that I pulled from some of their papers that I thought were sweet or just made me laugh. :)
Enjoy:

I believe . . .

That girls should have long hair and boys short
That everyone should shave their legs
That flowers are the perfect way to get your mom not to be mad at you,
That it is essential to eat something sweet everyday,
That everyone should have a second chance,
That French toast is better than pancakes,
That old people should have to be healthy,
That monsters are real in your closet,
In going fishing at least 2 times a week,
That my sisters shouldn’t take so long to get ready to go places,
That everything God puts in my life is to make me stronger,
In diversity,
That Mrs. Burns looks like me,
That jamoca ice cream came from Heaven,
That boys can be as emotional as girls,
That being pure isn’t a fad but a life choice,
That when my parents tell me to do something it’s from God,
Nobody needs TV,
Mango are mangolicious.


I obviously have some silly students. :)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

What a fun assignment! I love the responses that you posted! A few made me laugh as well :) Can't wait to see you in just a few weeks! Sounds like you are doing great so far! No surprise here!

Rylan and Carsten's Papa said...

hi andrea

i believe that god called you to be a teacher. i can already see your love for it and that your gifts are being used mightily with these middle school students. this was a great assignment in many ways both sides gained from it even i did it was very sweet keep up the good work.

love ya deena

Shawnte Melody said...

That's a great assignment! I love their responses. Sound like an amazing English teacher to me. ;)

Shawnte Melody said...

P.S. I stole your idea. :)