Friday, June 5, 2009

Summer Reading

Brandon and I have made a goal to read at least a book a month this summer. So far I am greatly enjoying this challenge and looking forward to getting into the many books on my always growing book list.

At the end of April, though it took me several months, I finally finished Jane Eyre. I enjoyed the book but am not too settled with the ending! I need someone to discuss this with! :)
Then in May I read The Pastor's Wife by Subina Wurmbrand. This book was recommended to me and I could not put it down. It told of her time under Communist rule in Romania. She spend years in prisons and labor camps. Many days I put it down feeling bitter in my stomach for all the torture she went through for the sake of the Gospel. Not standing up for her faith was never an option to her. Her great love for Christ flowed out of her as she continue to lead many to Christ amidst her pain and torture. It was extremely convicting. We just don't know what that kind of cruelty and persecution is like. It has really challenged me to be more bold in sharing my faith. Christ gave us, as undeserving as we are, life everlasting, He is worth sacrificing everything for! I am so thankful I read it and recommend it to everyone.

Now I am, again, trying to tackle The Big Fisherman by Lloyd Douglas. This, along with many other old classic novels, was given to me by my grandmother who is a big reader. Ii is 581 pages. I tried to read it last summer and it never happened so I am trying again, and am already enjoying it more!My goal is to complete it by the end of June, but with all that we have going on I am afraid my leisurely reading time will be at a minimum!

We would love to hear what you are reading and join us in our little book club this summer!!

3 comments:

Angela Mooney said...

Pick me....I want to discuss Jane Eyre! I love that book! I want to be in the book club too!!!

Brandon and Andrea said...

yes please, let's chat! I became so accustomed to discussing every piece of literature I read through the past 4 years of college that I feel lost not have anyone to discuss these wonderful classic novels with! :(
I would truly love to hear your opinion of this novel!

Deena Burns said...

hi guys,

love the book club idea im gonna join im reading the secret by beverly lewis yes brandon its fiction but i love it its about the amish very interesting. blake is going to read a couple books this summer also so he can join in also hes gonna read the one brandon just gave him first then write a book report. i might need a little help with grading it andrea if you dont mind.

love you guys