Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Giver


I have begun reading The Giver with my 7th graders. This is the first time I have taught this book but am really excited about it. We are taking it very slow because this group if students have not read through a class book like this and because it is filled with so many great things to discuss. Though we started reading it this last Monday, I already have a handful of students who finished the book! (This is very exciting to a teacher :) )


If you are not familiar with the novel, it is about a community that is totally controlled by a group of people and they have ridiculous rules that everyone must follow. My students and I have already had some great conversations as to what those rules and orders would look like in our communities and homes today. One of the rules is that each "family unit" must share their feelings of the day with one another. The family then calmly talked through each feeling and made their best effort to resolve issue and make that person feel better, or to encourage if things were going well that day. So, I encouraged my students to go home and try it.


I realized in order for them to attempt this "rule" that would mean their family would have to first, be sitting around the table having dinner together- herein the first issue. SO little of my students have this time with their families each night. I can't tell you how many students responded with- "we never eat dinner together," or "I have to get my own dinner every night," or "we never talk like that." Ouch! My heart sank. Even with the business that I grew up with, my mom did her best to sit us together for dinner. This is so not a priority in so many families today.


But, there were the small handful of students that do partake in family meals and decided to try the "rule," and those responses were great! One girl said when she asked her mom has she was feeling, that her mom talked for an hour! Another girl said that she felt it really drew her family closer that night and that the next morning, her and her sister were much friendlier and had fun in the car to school together. One girl is one of 8 children and she went down the line and told us what each sibling said- so sweet! Several students said they wanted to try it again.


I am so glad I challenged the students with this. I learned a lot from it, and it was so interesting to hear their responses. Though, I am continually saddened by how many broken families we have at out little "private Christian school." I realized this week, i can not assume any longer that their families are whole. This breaks my heart but also stirs me to continue to pray for these students.


Praying that God would restore families and that my students' hearts would be opened to the gospel and have the opportunity to see what God hopes for a healthy "family unit" centered around Him.

1 comment:

Costellos said...

It too breaks my heart. Like you, we always sat together for dinner as a child. Now, we try to sit down and eat together as a family every night. Sports and youth group and other things do get in the way but we try...and we succeed most nights. It is SO important. Your students are so blessed to have you teaching this to them....they will never forget.